internetworkers - [internetworkers] any thoughts on Cary's "manifest destiny" approach to growth?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Dan Smith <anilorac AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] any thoughts on Cary's "manifest destiny" approach to growth?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:13:08 -0500

It just struck me not only has Cary annexed unattched portions of Wake County leap frogging over Morrisville (near RDU and on the west edge of RTP proper), it expanded into Chatham County where Cary now has 19 residents.  I'm fairly sure these sections are not serviced by public utilities, but the property owners are paying the taxes to support public safety services and utilities that aren't anywhere close to them - public safety certainly is not close enough to timely respond in an emergency.

>From the Chatham County website  http://www.co.chatham.nc.us/Profile.htm:

"Only one-fifth of the county's approximately 49,588 citizens reside within the county's municipalities. Municipalities within the county and their respective populations are as follows:

Siler City:  7,002
Pittsboro:  2,236
Goldston:
321
Cary:  19

The Town of Pittsboro serves as the county seat."

Poor Morrisville.  On a recently updated Wake County map, Morrisville is clearly hemmed in by RTP proper, Cary, I40/RDU airport without room for expansion.  For awhile, CH was expanding around Carroboro, but not to this degree.