internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] any thoughts on Cary's "manifest destiny" approach to growth?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] any thoughts on Cary's "manifest destiny" approach to growth?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:39:00 -0500

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:13:08PM -0500, Dan Smith spoke thusly:
> It just struck me not only has Cary annexed unattched portions of Wake
> County leap frogging over Morrisville (near RDU and on the west edge of
> RTP proper), it expanded into Chatham County where Cary now has 19
> residents. I'm fairly sure these sections are not serviced by public
> utilities, but the property owners are paying the taxes to support public
> safety services and utilities that aren't anywhere close to them - public
> safety certainly is not close enough to timely respond in an emergency.

Not yet. ONe of the Cary "master plans" is to run a 1 mile by 1 mile
grid of roads and services all the way up 64 to the edge of Jordan
Lake, anexing as it goes. Last I heard, all of that stretch of US64 -
including New Hill and Wilsonville - to the lake will be part of Cary
by 2005.

Land use is a big concern in Chatham. They don't ahve a sane Land use
plan, so developers are salivating for the chance to build there. And
with the election of Bunky "lives in Cary" Morgan as a Chatham
County Commisioner, it seems that they will all get their way...

--
-- Kevin Sonney --