internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] heard on NPR yesterday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • Cc: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] heard on NPR yesterday
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:22:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Maria C Winslow wrote:

> I think it's hard to spend $75k on an SUV, so maybe this is more for cement
> trucks and the like?

You haven't looked at a decked-out with all options Hummer, Cadillac
Escalade, or Lexus then. I mean, Cadillacs have an option of infrared
nightvision HUD (head-up display) projecting onto the inside of the
windshield a la jet fighter pilots.

Jamie Zawinski commented on this loophole a couple of weeks ago where
CPAs had clients walk in with no intention of buying a vehicle that week
head straight for a car dealer on the way out. I believe
the figures he quoted, though, were that buying a $47,000 SUV got the
buyer a $32,000 tax credit.

> (but this doesn't change the question of whether we are on a sure-fire
> course
> for hell!)

Part of me thinks this is evil. Part of me think there must be some point
at which you can buy the SUV for $47k, get $32k back (effective cost $15k)
and resell it for significantly more.

best,
Steve Burnett
--
Steve Burnett burnett AT pobox.com http://www.pobox.com/~burnett/
System Administration Technical Documentation Information Retrieval