internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] was: Oh, my goodness...(long)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Wagoner <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] was: Oh, my goodness...(long)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:30:43 -0800 (PST)

If you want the absolute best experience from any of the Neo-China restaurants, my recommendation is to go for weekend dim sum at the Cary location.  It has the largest assortment of dim sum that I've found in the Triangle.  Be sure to try the "Bubble Tea", a popular import from Taiwan.  It's like a cold frappacino or something, but it has round squishy black tapioca balls in the bottom that would make you swear you just sucked a fish eyeball up through the large-bore straw.  Yummy!  (No seriously, it's a great drink that many of the Asians will be drinking while you are there.)

As for the regular menu, I wish they offered a more exotic selection of native Chinese dishes (the kind you find in translated Chinese cookbooks).  But alas, they too succumbed to the Chinese-American compromise that is all too common around here.  The quality is still good, though.

Why not make a weekend of it and visit the excellent new Green Papaya Vietnamese restaurant (corner of Tryon and Cary Pkwy.).  It's owned by the same folks who run Dalat in Raleigh, but it's better.

And next time you are shopping at Crossroads, slip over to Thai Villa (South Hills? shopping center) for some of the best Thai food in the Triangle.  This place is small and the service can be slow at times, but the food is always excellent.

david