internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: was: Oh, my goodness...(long)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Wagoner <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: was: Oh, my goodness...(long)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:05:08 -0800 (PST)

Unfortunately, I haven't tried the dim sum at the place on HWY 55, although I used to eat their buffet lunch occasionally when I worked in the Park.

Other dim sum places I've tried in the Triangle (and can remember this late) are Hong Kong? on Guess Rd. in Durham and Hunam on Airport Rd. in Chapel Hill, both of which were not as comprehensive or tasty as the new Neo-China, in my opinion.

To produce great dim sum, I think you need a team of Chinese grandmothers in the kitchen because those little dishes are very labor-intensive.  All the dumplings, steamed buns, small-chopped meats (spare ribs, braised chicken feet, etc.) require lots of work to prepare (try it at home sometime) and thus the small number of restaurants offering dim sum.  Traditionally, you would have to hit a China Town in a large city, but thankfully it's becoming more popular in less urban locales.

david

 "Lance A. Brown" <lance AT bearcircle.net> wrote:

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 22:30, David Wagoner wrote:
> If you want the absolute best experience from any of the Neo-China
> restaurants, my recommendation is to go for weekend dim sum at the
> Cary location. It has the largest assortment of dim sum that I've
> found in the Triangle. Be sure to try the "Bubble Tea", a popular
> import from Taiwan. It's like a cold frappacino or something, but it
> has round squishy black tapioca balls in the bottom that would make
> you swear you just sucked a fish eyeball up through the large-bore
> straw. Yummy! (No seriously, it's a great drink that many of the
> Asians will be drinking while you are there.)

David,

How does this place rank against the Dim Sum at China One on Hwy 55 in
RTP? I just had my first experience with Dim Sum in about 10 years
there on Sunday and really enjoyed it.

--[Lance]

--
Carolina Spirit Quest: http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/