internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Safari and Internetworkers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Safari and Internetworkers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:15:07 -0500

On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, at 10:15 AM, Steven Champeon wrote:

Am I the only one who /isn't/ getting amazing speed from Safari, btw?
Everyone I talk to thinks IE5/Mac is /slow/ and Safari is zippy, but
my experience so far (on a G3/400 Pismo) has been the opposite. Shrug.

I was just testing out Safari this morning, and it seemed to be faster, so I used Web Performance software to measure. Relying on general web surfing to get a speed impression is inherently inaccurate since the bandwidth between your computer and web sites varies from one minute to the next. We use a test suite of HTML pages to measure the performance of our own software so its a little more consistent.

I compared the speed of Jaguar with Mozilla, and the results were that Jaguar was 28% faster on big, complex pages with lots of images, and up to 50% faster on smaller pages. This is just using a few test pages and so isn't conclusive. (Sorry, I don't use IE, and don't have any numbers for it.)

Ending a sentence with a preposition is nothing to be ashamed of.
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC