internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] still no power from CP&L....

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • Cc: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] still no power from CP&L....
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:57:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Michael D. Thomas wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:08:46 -0800 (PST) David Wagoner <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > They have been stressing on the radio the last
> > couple of days that some types of damage (e.g.,
> > electrical connections to the house, etc.) are
> > the homeowner's responsibility
>
> A Progress Energy linesman was nice enough
> to inspect the aerial drop and check our
> breaker. No damage and the breaker was on.
>
> The latest promises have been, in the order
> that we've received them:
>
> 1) A crew is in front of your house right
> now;
> 2) By 10:00 p.m. tonight;
> 3) By midnight tonight;
> 4) Oh wait, I meant by 10:00 p.m. tonight;
> 5) By Thursday.
>
> Oh well, since we plan to stay in the house
> a while, and CP&L will be our power company
> for a while, who can recommend a good
> generator?

We lost power at 1am Wednesday night. The rest of the neighborhood
(1/2mile from Crabtree Mall) had power Sunday night, but the three houses
at the end of my street (including mine) were still dark. Mike, when you
posted earlier about being a cluster of three houses in Raleigh in a
neighborhood with restored power, I had to look and check you hadn't moved
in across the street without me noticing :).

My next door neighbor had a city inspection required on Monday before
they'd consent to turn his power back on when the lines are repaired.They
just fixed the lines a half-hour ago, so now I can quit camping in my
friend's basement.

We're already figuring where the generator needs to go in the house for
the next winter storm.

CP&L's automated system kept calling me back every day asking if I had had
power restored and I kept choosing "no", but I never got through to a
human being the entire time.

--
Steve Burnett burnett AT pobox.com http://www.pobox.com/~burnett/
System Administration Technical Documentation Information Retrieval