internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Trent Lott, segregationist

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Trent Lott, segregationist
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:07:07 -0500

Where did you get the idea that the labelling was "simply because it doesn't
embrace the practice of
> prejudicial handouts to minorities."?

And what a loaded comment that is! Instead, of course, we have seen ample
examples of their embrace of prejudicial handouts to cronies, almost all of
whom are white males who espouse some form of Christianity Can anyone say
"Enron"?

I would submit that the appointments of Mr. Powell and Ms. Rice were
*extremely* politically motivated, very much in order to stave off the
accusations of racism that the GOP often grandly deserves. That the two are
the only members of the current administration I have any respect for or
trust in (and I'm not entirely sure about them, either) is a credit to their
professionalism and intelligence. The thing about many Republicans is that
they hide behind statements such as yours to cloak their racism in some sort
of respectability.

If we didn't have some sort of system to reward companies, schools and
politicos for at least considering minorities, people like Mr. Powell and Ms.
Rice wouldn't have a chance. As it is, minorities are still underrepresented
in all aspects of American life, except perhaps in poverty, criminal and
victim statistics.

Diana