internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InternetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC
  • Date: 04 Sep 2002 21:25:13 -0400

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 18:10, Josef Komenda wrote:
> NTFS (Win2k's default filesystem) does not play nice with others, and
> installing Win2k after Linux will likely eat your Linux partition. I think

In most cases, all it really does is eat the boot loader. You can
restore that with a rescue disk, although it's a pain. I usually install
MS first, then Linux.

And while NYFS write support is buggy, you can mount NTFS partitions
read-only to get to your legacy data. it's just nice to have a fat32
partition to save it back to. At least until you delete that pesky
Microsoft OS. Which I finally did after realizing I hadn't booted it in
over a year, and I needed the space *grin*

> Since I actually work at Red Hat and have both OS's handy, and have a spare
> machine to test this on, I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back the
> results.

I've done this literally hundreds of times, and it works fine. I've even
done it with XP. Going back in time, I've had machines that booted :

Win95/Red Hat Linux 5.2
Win98/Red Hat Linux 6.2
Win2K/Red Hat Linux 6.x through 7.3
Win98/Debian "potato"
Win98/Mandrake Linux 7.0
WinXP/Red Hat Linux 7.3 though Red Hat Linux Beta "Limbo"

If you need a hand setting this up, I'll gladly help. My cube is hard to
miss. *grin*

--
-- Kevin Sonney --