internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InternetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC
  • Date: 04 Sep 2002 21:19:00 -0400

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 18:27, Bill Geschwind wrote:
> Would Linux play nice with win2k if win2k were installed in a separate
> partition with NTFS and Linux were by itself in its own FAT16 or FAT32
> partition? I take it Linux supports other file systems as well? How
> about have a system partition for each OS in their "preferred" file
> system and then a common FAT16 or FAT32 partition for data?

Do yourself a *BIG* favor and don't try to install Linux to a fat32
partition. Sure, it's useful for cross-compatability, but it's really
not designed to handle a POSIX OS, and only one distribution (Slackware)
still supports that as an option. The few times I tried it, it was
*PAINFUL*.

What I've found that works *REALLY* well is this :

1) Install $RedmondOS first, giving it about 4-8G to sit in.
2) Create a fat32 partition in the M$OS, leaving about 4-8G for Linux
3) Install Linux into the remaining 4-8G using ext3
4) mount the fat32 partition to /mnt/shared (or similar) under Linux
5) Use the fat32 partition as D: under the other OS

For the Linux partition, I usually recommend Red Hat or Mandrake if
you're new to Linux/Unix, and Red Hat or Debian if you're familiar with
*nix and want to learn the hardcore Linux stuff.

HTH....

--
-- Kevin Sonney --