internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] domain name registration

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bob Kucera" <bob.kucera AT verizon.net>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] domain name registration
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:16:46 -0400

Thanks David. I'm getting a lot of suggestions and am building a little
table of pro's and cons. Then will choose impulsively anyway. The purpose
is to stabilize my web home URL and email address and email addresses for my
son and daughter (dot org stuff). I've started having duplicate services as
things change and it's a pain to change. Also to understand the jargon.

So far, stabilizing email, website, and connectivity requires understanding
and selecting:
- Internet connectivity by choosing the ISP - considering speed, cost, and
types of connection: dialup, dsl, cable, wireless;
- Email - pop email server from ISP
- Domain Name Registration - allows a personal or commercial identity in
your address and URL, URL forwarding, and mail forwarding multiple email
addresses independent of ISP changes, easy web based configuration valued,
- Web site provider by your ISP free web space, other free web space, your
own hosting ability, or purchasing web hosting
- DNS service - if you will host your own www, ftp, or other site you need
to purchase registration on a public DNS server,

And I've seen enough to realize this may lead to experiencing early aging
and what "feh" means.

Bob Kucera
(919) 602-5503