internetworkers - RE: Telemarketer Bill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger D." <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Telemarketer Bill
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:06:44 -0400

days.

The problem is this is that it this is the opposite of what should happen.
All this should be opt-in rather than opt-out. Also, this is only in North
Carolina, not nation wide so it is less helpful than it sounds.

> Charitable organizations would not be affected by the restrictions.

These are as abusive as the for-profits IMO. I don't see what the
difference is between receiving unwanted telephone solicitations from a
business vs. a non profit organization. Why make this distinction? These
days, it is a little difficult to tell the difference at times.

A better law would be one that completely bans the use of telephone
solicitation and spam by anyone at anytime. One step back from that would be
a law that allows it, but only if people request to be on the opt-in call
list.