internetworkers - RE: Telemarketer Bill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger D." <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Telemarketer Bill
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:35:43 -0400

Well, there are times in our lives where ancient rites are performed. These
two places are examples. Cell phone usage during these events is
inappropriate and unnecessary. What do these people need to talk about other
than perhaps their choice of entree's and their dinner partners needs in a
restaurant. (Perhaps one proper use would be to call the restaurant to find
out where your %*^$ waiter has disappeared to.)
I would put eating and excreting in a similar category to love making in
this regard. If you would use a cell phone at that time, I would assume you
would have other issues.

> <ASIDE> Cell phones in restaurants bug me too, and I don't know why
> and I can't defend it (and that bugs me even more).</ASIDE>
>
> The idea that you should only use a cell phone in private seems a little
> odd to me... I've had people look at me askance when I was talking (not
> yelling) on my cell in Linens-n-Things. [It was a "useful" conversation
> too, about the color of towel my grandfather would prefer, not that it
should matter.])

The point is that shopping doesn't have to be that difficult that you need
a cell phone conversation to complete the transactions. You run into the
store, grab what you need, pay for it, and leave. It is easy, you don't need
to talk about it. If you do, then you didn't prepare for the shopping trip
enough to know what you need beforehand. This is why shopping centers are so
crowded. People don't prepare before they go.

> Let's assume that the person on the cell (let's call him "A") is not
> yelling, but is, in fact, talking on his cell at the same volume as the
> guy shopping right beside him (our good buddy "B") who is talking to a
> real, live person ("C" for the sake of the argument). Why is A perceived
> as rude, when B & C are not, if all volume levels and subject matters are
> equal? Is it because you can't eavesdrop on the other side of A's
> conversation?

B&C are in the store together and talking between two adjacent people is
allowed. Talking into a little metal box and ignoring the other customers is
rude. I don't really mind someone talking in a store so much if they are
talking about what they are buying. Ex: "Yes dearest, would you like PBR's
or some nice Ripple for this evening? Pabst? Okay, bye!"
I think the issue is one of someone in the grocery store obviously making
chit-chat someone and forcing their private conversation on everyone around
them in the public space. This is rude behavior since you have little
choice, but to stand there in line while they chat. Surely they could wait
until they get somewhere else to use the phone.

> I realize that some people yell on cell phones, or have inappropriate
> conversations; however, that's the *person* not the cell phone. *Any*
> technology, be it email, cell phone or a doorbell, can be used in ways
> that are rude and ways that are polite.
>
> I won't even try to address the restroom question, because (as I
> understand) you boys have different rules about restroom chat
> than we do.

Most men assume the restroom activities are single person activities.
Conversation and analysis isn't one of them. This is why we normally go
alone.