internetworkers - Re: Automated phone dialers-- how to fight back?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Automated phone dialers-- how to fight back?
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:59:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

> Has anyone else gotten autodialed from "Preston" at Carpet Dry Clean in
> Raleigh? I've requested twice for them to stop leaving messages on my cell
> phone and they won't stop. Now they're calling my office phone. :-(
>
> http://carpetdryclean.com
> 919.878.0748

Yes. When I finally got through to a fellow there, he insisted a) he
hadn't autodialed my exchange in over four months, b) there are three
other carpet cleaning services in the RTP area using exactly the same
autodialing setup including the same longwinded message so it must have
been them, c) he's just a family man trying to feed his family and I can
sue him if I want (he brought up legal action, I did not) but "you can't
squeeze blood from a turnip", etc. etc. Never got him to stop.

Steve Burnett
burnett AT pobox.com