internetworkers - Fun places to drive?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Laughlin <jason AT jasonlaughlin.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Fun places to drive?
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:50:55 -0500

As a person that admittedly likes to go fast and thinks there should be rules setting the minimum speed limit in the left-passing lane (i.e. if you're not actively passing, get out of the left lane), I'd like to hear some opinions on nice/fun/challenging places to drive where you can enjoy the road and the feel of driving. I drive a Nissan Sentra (since my station wagon died) and a Honda Rebel 250 cycle. Here are some of the faves I've encountered:

-- In Durham, take Cole Mill Rd. north of I-85. Just before the road dead-ends at the Eno River park, turn right on Pleasant Green. This two-lane road goes for miles with minimal traffic, and lots of green. It's 55 mph and features nicely banked curves and hills along with trees and vines forming a canopy over sections of road. Great for spring!

-- Northern California highways in the area between Monterey and San Francisco. Beautiful scenery, and even during high-density times, EVERYONE is going 85 mph, including the police. Talk about nice flow of traffic!

-- Louisiana I-49. Perfectly straight stretches of highway with good visibility for miles. No place for speed traps to hide. Not much traffic, so very high speeds are possible.

Jason