internetworkers - RE: Fun places to drive?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kirk Schmidt <kschmidt AT netphoenix.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Fun places to drive?
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:44:54 -0500

I'm a bit selfish about my favorite places to drive... with six or fewer
degrees of separation between me and everybody else, i don't want
my less-traveled roads becoming choc-full of anything besides from
the normal mix of tractors and whatnot...

I will go so far as to continue on what Bill wrote... Old Greensboro
Highway is one of my favorites... it can get some traffic around here,
but if you keep on NC Bike Route 2 (with a few turns and twists)
you can avoid all of Burlington/Graham/Greensboro/Winston on your
way to western North Carolina (whose roads i'll decline to mention
for now). On busy highway days it's even faster than driving I-40...
You go all the way to 85 and if you need 40 eventually, you cut
across on 64 at Lexington after stopping for BBQ. It is an awesome
drive with lots of rural scenes and some old small towns.

There are a lot of amazing Bike Routes all around. I suggest to anyone
who does much adventuring, via foot, bike, or car to go purchase a NC
back roads atlas from your locally owned book/map/trail shop. They
show hiking trails and bike routes and everything. They're great even
if your not a map freak like me!

kirk

Bill Geschwind wrote:

I definitely second that! Often when I need to drive to Greensboro I
head out from Carrboro on Jones Ferry Road and take the 'Old Chapel Hill
- Greensboro Highway,' basically just follow the signs to Greensboro
from there. This route will take you through Snow Camp, Eli Whitney and
Kimesville and only takes about 10 or so minutes more than taking the
Interstate, but the drive is infinitely more enjoyable.