internetworkers - Re: Individual Health Insurance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael Czeiszperger" <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Individual Health Insurance
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:41:01 -0000

Eric Sessoms <s3ssoms AT yahoo.com> said:

> I keep insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield just to get me
through
> the annual job-hop. Over the years they've raised my premium from
$50
> to a shocking $70/month, but that still works out cheaper than either
> COBRA or tagging-on to my wife's insurance. I checked-out IEEE and
ACM
> a few years ago but they were not competitive.

I have independent insurance through BCBS, and have had nothing but
problems. The vast majority of the claims are denied because either
"the patient is not covered" or "the patient's DOB is incorrect". This
means every time we go to the doctor I have to call BCBS and bug them
until they will process the claim. On top of that, they have ridiculously low
limits on preventative care for children, which means most of the visits
to the pediatrician for "shots" aren't covered.

On top of that, they doubled the cost for family coverage in under two
years to $609/month today, and that's even with a $500 deductable on
an 80/20 plan.

And then there's the billing system. They only send a bill if they received
your last bill, so if you happen to have lost a bill, you'll be out of
coverage
unless you have a system to keep track of this type of thing. I had to
drive out to the BCBS building and stand in line for over two hours to
avoid having the policy canceled.

Needless to say, I'm shopping around for something better.

--
Michael Czeiszperger
Web Performance Inc.