internetworkers - Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Robert Weeks <robert AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:00:42 -0400

I read this article last night and being mainly a Mac and Linux user found
it pretty disturbing. I've been hearing about Microsoft's .Net strategy for
a while now and didn't bother before to look into exactly what it is they
were aiming to do.

I'm curious what others think of this:

http://www.ecompanynow.com/articles/mag/0,1640,11261,00.html

A few quotes from the article:

"But at Microsoft's soggy campus in Redmond, Wash., Ballmer and Gates have
come up with a master plan, astonishingly complex but brutally powerful,
that binds together everything Microsoft makes, from back end to front end,
from cell-phone software to server software -- all across the Internet.
Called simply .Net, Microsoft's radical strategy envisions a day when
businesses and consumers will be able to rent just about any worthwhile
Internet-based service from Redmond or its allies."

"It has made big inroads in the lucrative market for the server software
that runs websites, where Oracle and Sun Microsystems have ruled.
Windows-based servers now run at least the front end of more than half of
all secure websites. Big retail sites Barnes&Noble.com and Nordstrom.com use
Windows; in all, 20 of the 50 largest e-tailers run on Windows, as do almost
half of the top 50 business-to-business sites, including Dell and Commerce
One."

In the last month or so I've had the opportunity to work on a project hosted
on a Win2000 box and I've got to admit its been really stable. Is Microsoft
on to something here?

Robert Weeks

Partner - Technology
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC