internetworkers - RE: Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Robert Weeks <robert AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:43:50 -0400

Hi Paula!

Good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you, Robert and the new
little programmer ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I was wondering if you had been
working with this.

Its Hailstorm and the ultimate plans for the future that worry me the most.
I'm glad you find cause for concern there also.

On another list I subscribe to there has been a discussion of the MS MSN /
hotmail / Passport users agreement that was sparked by this story:

All your data (and biz plans) are belong to Microsoft:

Here's an excerpt for those who don't want to read the whole story:

================
"By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, submitting any
feedback or suggestions, or engaging in any other form of communication
with or through the Passport Web Site ... you are granting Microsoft and its
affiliated companies permission to:

1. Use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly
perform, reproduce, publish, sublicense, create derivative works from,
transfer, or sell any such communication.

2. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the
foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.

3. Publish your name in connection with any such communication."
================

Yikkees!! It doesn't seem to me like *that* has any potential for good.

If you told me a few years ago that my browser of choice would be IE and I'd
be using Entourage for email, I would have thought that was ridiculous. But
on my Mac that's what I use these days. The really scary thing about MS is
that a lot of what they have envisioned for the future in the past few years
has come true. They have the money to burn to get their way. IE and
Entourage are now great apps, a few years ago IE was laughable at best, but
they threw money and resources at the problem until they won.

I don't want to be one of those old crotchety "back in my day we walked 10
miles to school guys" but the thing that really excited me about the web
when I first became interested in it was that it was a big level playing
field. It seemed very democratic and open and free. Now as MS and AOLTW rush
for control of our web / tv / cell phone / desktop / refrigerator / calendar
/ wallet devices, it seems like not such an exciting place, but a place
where we need to be aware of what is going on with these huge powers who
would like to control as many aspects of our lives as they can.

The XML SOAP thing sounds like a great idea, but the way MS has envisioned
things I wonder what the cost will be to us, the workers and end users of
the web.

(ok. Off my SOAPbox)

It really is great to hear from you again, I'm glad you're happy with the
site, we'll have to get together again one of these days. If MS gets their
way I may need to talk to you about getting my MCSE ;-)

Take care,

Robert Weeks

Partner - Technology
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC