internetworkers - Re: Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Julie Waddle <jwaddle AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:34:31 -0400

Bill wrote [paraphrase]:
> Microsoft's strategy is like Intel's, creating more complexity

When playing buzzword bingo, the formal description to this is "creating
barriers to entry."

More interestingly, competition is now competition of standards and of
networks of companies,
unless the company can do it all. This means the more people you can get to
use your format,
the greater competitive edge you have. Microsoft is trying to do it all, and
their strong PC
presence helps.

To undermine them, someone will have to work with their formats seamlessly,
but still add
value. And the competition will have to watch out for changes that make their
products
incompatable, as Microsoft is prone to do. I occasionally wonder about Adobe
Acrobat's
prospects, but it's got no spreadsheet, isn't penetrating fast enough and
Adobe doesn't cater
to computer neophytes.

To everybody I know on the list, especially Uzi and Tom, who I haven't seen
in way too long:
sorry not to have made it to a social gathering, school and prior social
engagements have
kept me busy for months.

see you someday,
julie waddle