internetworkers - RE: Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Slouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:19:50 -0400

In the interest of equal representation, here's somebody who does not
like the idea of Microsoft's .NET framework as much as I do...

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/09/technology/09HAIL.html?searchpv=site01

Since a SOAP implementation is available from the Apache Software
Foundation, and the SOAP specification has been submitted to W3C
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-SOAP-20000508/ ), it makes it hard to
believe the claim that Microsoft will use it to 'own the Internet', but
if they can, I'm sure they will try. It is their way.

Microsoft recently invited a set of Apache \ SOAP programmers to Redmond
to help fix incompatabilities between .NET's SOAP implementation and
Apache SOAP (the SOAP spec is not tight enough to guarantee that two
conforming implementations will work with each other!). To see a bunch
of Java developers working on Apache SOAP at the Microsoft campus across
the hall from .NET developers was either encouraging or a sign of the
coming apocalypse ;-)

Paula Paul Paula AT PaulSoftware.com
Paul Software, Inc. http://www.PaulSoftware.com
tel 919.460.4539 fax 650.373.3025