internetworkers - Re: This just in...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Uzoma Nwosu <uzoma AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: This just in...
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:34:59 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Thomas A. Beckett wrote:

> I'm kind of down on (as opposed to down with) the open mic thing, too.
> For starters, those things will easily run longer than scheduled, and
> it's kind of hard for the management to tell folks waiting to sing their
> song to get lost. And our "prime time" is really over by 10:00,
> anyhow. Doesn't work for me.

They will START around 10pm. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

> On the other hand, the Skylight Exchange could be really cool. It's
> got used books and records and really good sandwiches: ideal geek
> fare. No beer for sure, but as noted earlier, Henry's is next door.

Skylight is small. Probably too small for us. Don't they also have shows
there as well?

> The thing about the absence of alcohol is for good reason, too. One
> of
> the owner's main motivations for opening the Skylight in the first place
> was to create a "dry bar" in Chapel Hill. That is, a place with Public
> House atmosphere and conviviality where recovering alcoholics could go
> to hang out, socialize, and not be tempted by alcohol. That being said,
> it's not like the place has the atmosphere of an AA meeting. It's a
> very funky, coffeehouse type of setting.
>
> Disclosure: Dennis Gavin, the owner of Skylight Exchange, is a
> personal friend of mine.

I'm not opposed to the Skylight. But I'm not crazy about it either. We
haven't done Durham in months. Plus, I think that we should avoid the
Raleigh and Chapel Hill options at least for another month.

Uzoma