internetworkers - Re: This just in...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: This just in...
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:58:23 -0500

I'm kind of down on (as opposed to down with) the open mic thing,
too.
For starters, those things will easily run longer than scheduled, and
it's kind of hard for the management to tell folks waiting to sing their
song to get lost. And our "prime time" is really over by 10:00,
anyhow. Doesn't work for me.

On the other hand, the Skylight Exchange could be really cool. It's
got used books and records and really good sandwiches: ideal geek
fare. No beer for sure, but as noted earlier, Henry's is next door.

The thing about the absence of alcohol is for good reason, too. One
of
the owner's main motivations for opening the Skylight in the first place
was to create a "dry bar" in Chapel Hill. That is, a place with Public
House atmosphere and conviviality where recovering alcoholics could go
to hang out, socialize, and not be tempted by alcohol. That being said,
it's not like the place has the atmosphere of an AA meeting. It's a
very funky, coffeehouse type of setting.

Disclosure: Dennis Gavin, the owner of Skylight Exchange, is a
personal friend of mine.

I vote we go to Skylight and then gradually adjourn to Henry's after
the game is over. Henry's is high on my list, too.

TaB