internetworkers - My wife wants to be a DBA?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: My wife wants to be a DBA?
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:28:43 -0400 (EDT)

This might be off topic, and if it is, I apologize.

My wife has decided she wants to be a DBA. Unfortunately, her current
employer doesn't seem to care - she currently works in a NOC (mostly doing
call dispatch, routing, and such) for a large Canadian company (you know
who I mean).

I'd *LOVE* to send her to Oracle DBA school, but to do that, she's
probably have to quit work for a while, and pay out of pocket. Which we
*REALLY* can't do right now. So the question for the group is :

Where can a DBA-wannabe apprentice? So far, she's had Excel & Access 2K
training, and is starting on my copy of "SQL : A Self Teaching Guide." But
she'll need some hands on experience - more than just examples in a book,
y'know?

Steve Burnett suggested SAS, so that's one option...does anyone else have
some others?

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --
Matrix: "Gun, Death Blossom mode." - Reboot, Ep. 324