internetworkers - Re: diversity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "S S Tempest" <sstempest AT mailcity.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: diversity
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:12:33 -0400

I've been thinking about this whole scenario of "targeting" people to
increase diversity. And I am sure that, like Gina originally said, if someone
came up to me and said, "Join this group because we gotta have more women,"
I'd get irritated that they wanted me to fulfill some quota, rather than
because they were interested in what I had to say.

Although when I thought about it, the only time I think I've really had that
experience (at least so flagrantly) was with intramural sports, and it worked
out OK. Maybe people asked me to play Inner Tube Water Polo because each team
had to have 2 women in the pool, but we still ended up having fun.

But really, I think there are other ways to think about it, beyond the
"targeting" and quotas that people get so worked up over. Maybe there's some
grad student at NCCU grad school (which in my impression is pretty diverse)
who just learned Javascript and likes to debate the pros and cons of MP3.
Right now she doesn't know this list exists. If you post some flyers over
there, a lot of people ignore them, some check out the web site and decide
it's not for them, and the people who are interested join. The point is not
so much to be politically correct as to make sure you do get the word out to
people who have something to contribute, people you want to know.

I know this is long. At Tobacco Roadhouse, I was mocked (genially) for
lurking, so I've decided to compensate.

Snow T.

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct