internetworkers - Re: RE: Geeks + Diversity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: RE: Geeks + Diversity
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 13:54:27 -0400

A good exercise is to view what people are affiliated with the
InterNetWorkers and look at the world at large.
What is the diversity issue here? If we start counting heads, I would
assume the biggest problem is the lack of the _maturity enhanced_
...(i.e., geezer geeks.) How many people on the list or at the events
are >40, >50, ancient, etc. (We could inform you of ancient history back
in the 60s and 70s, over and over and over with the same stories of Dead
concerts. We could offer great hints on white shoe maintenance or
stories about how we did it in the old days.)
I would not automatically assume that minority geeks would want to be
involved. It is easy to think that we have a good thing going and "of
course" they would want to be a part of it. Sometimes it just doesn't
happen that way.
Just a thought. Roger (in RTP, anyone for some Mel Torme?)

> Geeks and music have always been closely linked. In the 60s and 70s
> Grateful Dead were renown for their very-high-tech state-of-the-art
> sound system, designed and maintained by audio-uber-geeks.
<snip>