internetworkers - Re: RE: Geeks + Diversity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: RE: Geeks + Diversity
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 00:28:12 -0400

uzoma nwosu wrote:
> Wait a sec... Are you saying that I'm not cool? You're saying that I'm a
> geek!
. . . .
> come on, man. I'm throwing events with nationally known acts getting top
> billing(that's what we got, got it good so since you understood...)

Geeks and music have always been closely linked. In the 60s and 70s
Grateful Dead were renown for their very-high-tech state-of-the-art
sound system, designed and maintained by audio-uber-geeks. Brian Eno is
a geek. Herbie Hancock? Geek. Thomas Dolby? Geek-a-rama. George
Clinton? Freak, not geek. But listen closely to Hardcore Jollies and
know that some serious geekery went into that LP.

TaB