internetworkers - Geeks + Diversity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joe Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Geeks + Diversity
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:08:24 -0400

Uzi,

>> I am concerned that there isn't enough ethnic diversity here. Is that
important?

It's very important, but I'm not sure at what level folks will be willing to
honestly discuss their feelings about diversity, for fear of being
misunderstood. I'm game though...

>> At what level do African-Americans have to conform to get the ball
rolling?

I don't think you have to conform, but you should at least be aware of the
following habitually referenced topics:

-- Monty Python (esp. Holy Grail)
-- Star Trek
-- Haiku and Puns
-- Open Source as a cure for all of societies ills.

So far, I've really enjoyed being part of the InterNetWorkers, and its good
balance of male and female geeks (diversity level 1). I think the vibe of
the group is very fun and curious - albeit slightly nerdy - with its strong
emphasis on 'networking', beer and trying to find common ground with each
other. Expanding on that, and recruiting ethnically diverse people in the
Internet space would clearly add to the value of the group.

Questions abound here - and I'm not sure who would have the answers.

Question #1 - are there many African-American (or other ethnically
underrepresented) geeks-types in the area? A lot of the InterNetWorkers are
not hardcore techies, but most members seem to at least understand the
common humor and history of the web, unix, Mac vs. PC, M$, etc...

Question #2 - if there *are* ethnic geek-types around, what cultural
references would help me to communicate with such a geek? What movies,
music, etc... In other words, how could *I* conform to help get the ball
rolling?

Question #3 - What projects or activities would be likely to attract members
of both communities?

Joe K