internetworkers - Re: For y'all's enjoyment

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B Holroyd <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: For y'all's enjoyment
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 12:04:28 -0500

Why, not shabby, not shabby a-tall!.... A couple of things, tho'....

"...brand-new living room suit...." is actually a "suite" (search for at
http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm to find in part: "... 2 : a group of things
forming a unit or constituting a collection : SET: as a : a group of rooms
occupied as a unit [...] d : a set of matched furniture ....")

You ask: Are there any Elizabeths in the South who go by "Betty" or "Bess"?
-- Why, yes. My daughter and I are both Elizabeths, and I'm "B" and she's
"Bess." Our names honor my great Auntie Bess, also Elizabeth. I still have
cousins who address me as "Betty." (And we are most definitely daughters of
the South, easily certifiable, with a healthy dollop of Appalachian for a
bit o' spice! <GRIN>)

And finally, a point of grammar. "Y'all" addresses a single person who is
also a member of a group, most often a group of friends or folks who are
going to get together for something, such as barbecue and the game.

"All y'all" addresses multiple people who are also members of such a group.
For example, "Do any of y'all plan to go to one of the local annual May
steeplechases? I 'spect that all y'all'd love the sun, fun, and horse
play." ("Y'all" accepts contractions and the possessive easily in a
southern drawl: y'all's, y'all'd, y'all're....)

It may take a well-tuned ear to catch the fine distinction between "y'all"
and "you" -- and yes, the gregarious southerners use "you" in very serious
situations, like when an individual has been so anti-social that s/he must
be cut from all groups, e.g. "You j***a**!" and "You gonna die for that,
bubba!" Rare but there.

Your page is seriously cute, though. I'll send the URL to some kith and kin
if'n y'all don' mind, once you've ironed out the wrinkles!

David Parker wrote:

> Hey everybody;
>
> I just finished a piece on my personal site that y'all might get a kick
> out of, especially all you immigrants to the area. For those of you who
> were born and raised here: This piece is not meant to make fun, at least
> not in a mean way. It was done in a spirit of brotherly love and
> celebration of diversity.
>
> I would love feedback from you all.
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/vividp/tarheel/tarheel.html
>
> --
> Dave Parker, Dialographer
> http://metalab.unc.edu/vividp
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: beeline AT mindspring.com

"B" at home
Snow Pictures Now Showing!

See the Abridged, Illustrated version:
http://beeline.home.mindspring.com/Snow/index.html