internetworkers - Re: For y'all's enjoyment

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: MaryBeth Lackey <MLackey AT raleighcvb.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: For y'all's enjoyment
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:22:25 -0500

Why is college basketball popular?

Because our basketball teams have been so good! UNC, Dook and even NC State
have had good runs during the 80s and 90s.

It's a fun game to watch, really easy to understand. Any kid can pick up a
basketball and start shooting, or dribbling, even by themselves (not like
football or baseball, where you need someone else to play with).

Because college sports IN THE PAST have been a little more "pure" than any
pro sport. The players were playing for love of the game, not for love of
money.

I think that has changed somewhat over the last decade, but there are still
walk-ons that just love to play, and even some scholarship players who could
jump to the NBA, but decide to stay and get an education before they get
huge paychecks and endorsement money.

I know I'm a UNC fan (if you couldn't tell by my spelling of Duke) because
my parents went there and they were fans, and so I grew up a fan. And then I
went to school there, and became an even bigger fan! I think it's hard to
explain to "outsiders" -- there's such a love of your school which
transfers to its sports teams. And students from each school will fight with
other students from other schools that their school is the best. Close
proximity makes for great rivals!

AND, our area simply hasn't had a pro team to support before now. I don't
the Hurricanes are going to make a big difference quite yet, but as more
"Yankees" invade our area, you will bring in less people who have had a
lifetime attachment to a college team. And us "Southerners" will go to
hockey games and get addicted to it as well. I don't think college sports
will lose all of their support, but they will diminish slightly as other
sports gain some popularity.

Anyway, there's the long answer!
---
Mary Beth Lackey
Internet Manager
Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau
http://www.raleighcvb.org