internetworkers - Re: Gathering Jan 2000?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "uzoma nwosu" <uzoma AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gathering Jan 2000?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:59:42 -0500

Personally, I think it's more important to have a consistent date
each
month. The location can float. But perhaps we could establish a
default location.

This is a very good idea. However, picking one location has a lot of
advantages. For example, we develop a relationship with the chosen
establishment. This would provide a higher quality of service because they
will expect or rely on a certain amount business on those nights. They will
probably be more accommodating when we have special requirements for the
evening as well. Of course, by selecting one space allows us to spend more
time and energy on the activities. This is supposed to be a breeding ground
for ideas, right? Let's hook them up to the machine and start playing some
mood music!
Now, I am not expressly against the rotating restaurants but I think I would
rather have meetings at a restaurant that rotates. But I digress...

I'm still interested in doing 905 Brightleaf for January.

Another concern we should talk about is some mechanism to make it
easier for waits to keep track of everyone's tab. How about each person
taking a number when they come in, and using that number to order by?

This is just a weird spot for me. Why can't we talk one of these
establishments into making a low set price--I know that this has been
discussed but who's played hardball on these guys? I mean, is there a way
to make it so that for six or seven bones we get to choose a meal?
I've always been a fan of the advance pay method. If we can guarantee, say
40 people, why not have just plates of finger food. If you want upscale,
let's go upscale. If you want ghetto, I'll bring a forty, a bag of rinds,
and some hot sauce. I'm down with whatever. :)
Uzoma