internetworkers - [internetworkers] shameless plug / invitation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: bethellison at netscape.net (Beth)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] shameless plug / invitation
  • Date: Thu Feb 20 10:59:13 2003

"Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu> wrote:

>Anybody else out in Internetworker-land into computer hardware
>modification?

I'm into body modification. Not quite the same thing.

Beth

http://webmail.netscape.com/
From: mshiltonj at libertystorm.com (Steven Hilton)
Date: Thu Feb 20 11:20:12 2003
Subject: [internetworkers] SkillMarket

Since the overall number of listings hasn't changed, I'd have to guess
that dice.com changed their search algorithm again, not got new
listings.

They did it once before, back in october. Before, searching for 'c',
'c++', and 'c#' all produced the same results set. After, I got distinct
results for 'c#' and 'c++'. (Searching for just 'c' still doesn't
produce meaningful results.)

I've always thought the '.net' results were higher than they should be,
because it's such a generic term that probably matches web site url's as
well as the ms technology, and there's no way it could be more in demand
than J2EE already. I'd wager the latest results set is more accurate.

J2EE, however, is a pretty specific term. I'm not sure what would cause
that jump. It's similar to the jump of several hundred in the php
listings a couple weeks ago. I looked at individual listings in that
results set and didn't see php in many of them.

Maybe some change they made is showing false positives?

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 10:41, Thomas Beckett wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 08:21, Michael D. Thomas wrote:
> >> I hope that everyone is comfortable promoting their artistic and
> >> other interests via the list.
> >
> > In that case, I will mention SkillMarket. It's a daily look at
> > in-demand tech skills. I poll dice.com nightly for a variety of
> > queries, store the number of hits, and chart the history.
>
> Hey, that's cool stuff! Kind of like an EKG of the tech industry.
>
> I wonder what's going on here:
> http://mshiltonj.com/sm/categories/technologies/
> Dramatic drop in .Net and equally dramatic jump in J2EE. Did
> some large company switch?
>
> TaB

Steven Hilton <mshiltonj AT libertystorm.com>
AIM: mshiltonjcom