homestead - [Homestead] a revived list??

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] a revived list??
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:33:39 -0800 (PST)

I was one of those newbies who asked questions that had been asked before,
some referred to us as wanabees , and in my case that is probably right.
I came from a farm background here in Central MO (Little Dixie).  We were
still doing things that were on the way out such as butchering and keeping
milk cows.  My spending money was what I got for the surplus eggs at
Elizabeth Baugh's store in Prairie Hill.  Now there is no store in PH... and
no place that I know of that buys produce wholesale from farmers.
I had no interest in farming so I moved to the suburbs (Phoenix AZ ) and
became an urban planner.
Missouri was always home so I when looking a house on a few acres I found 200
acres with no house between Moberly and Huntstville in Randolph Coiunty.  I
now live in Moberly about 5 miles from farm. I've discovered that the five
mile commute takes a lot of time that I could otherwise work on farm.  We
have moved a house onto land but am going to rent it for now as family and
domestic obligations keep us in town for now.
My land is hilly about half wooded have grass.  perhaps 35 acres is level, a
reclaimed strip mine.  I rent hunting rights and and lease the rest for hay.
In the meantime my homestead activities are limited to studying, learning,
and progressing toward living on the farm where I can actually provide more
of our sustenance.
I hope to hear from others
Van Dell Jordan