homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteady Stuff

  • From: lurine AT com-pair.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteady Stuff
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 12:05:06 -0800

We've got the kitchen torn apart. One of the problems with the stove
is weight. Once it got here we found out we are going to need a four
person crew to get the thing in the house. We are still waiting for
one part to get here (cover for the griddle) but it will work just
fine without it. We were all set with the boys coming up for
Christmas. Should have known things wouldn't work out. If it wasn't
for bad luck and all that :)

DH was mowing the "grass" out front during the summer and a rock went
through the sliding glass door, so we stopped work on the kitchen to
replace that. Now, I haven't the foggiest how they do it but there
is some kind of metal in these new doors and from a distance they
look dark, but they sure do keep the heat out during the summer!

Oh, well, I'm looking at the half-full glass. We'll be able to
cobble together a couple of greenhouses from the remains of the
frames. :)

We really didn't have anything that resembled winter until
mid-December and then it rained, rained and rained somemore. Now it
is way colder than normal and the snow is WAY more than normal.
*Maybe* 3' all winter is the norm for snow and we got 3' in one day.
Generally don't get sleet and we got that for two days (which created
the weight) and now it has been in the low 20s every night for a week.

Lynda