homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberries

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberries
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:38:29 -0700

*Most* manure is close to pH neutral. However, whether it leans to acid or to alkaline depends on feed. Folks generally just calculate it at neutral because you'd have to go out and find out the feed AND what kind of soil the grass grows in that the cattle or sheep eat, if the chickens are locked up or free range and all kinds of other goods.

What you need to know is what your soil was *before* you applied the manure. If it was highly alkaline, then the manure would bring it more towards neutral. Highly acid, it would bring it down more towards neutral. So, I'd test around the blueberry patch and then the blueberry patch and you'll know what your manure has done to the soil.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

Now I'm curious about the pH. The spot where I put the blueberries has been particularly well manures.