homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberries

  • From: Gloria M <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberries
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:19:47 -0500

I've been around the homestead list for many, many years. But mostly I
lurk. From time to time I post, but probably a couple of times per year on
average. And I bet I go several years sometimes between posts.

I live in Central Illinois - not a great many miles from Marie McHarry,
another member here. Hi, Marie!!

I'm on 2.5 acres. I love gardening (Master Gardener with lapsed
certification), have some chickens, and raise various fruits, including the
blueberries. Other fruits we have: cherries, raspberries, highbush
cranberries, elderberries, strawberries. I used to have goats, but sold
them when I took a new job that was taking up a vast amount of time -
meaning milking was not possible. Eventually I would like to have dairy
production again. I also have horses, but I don't count those as
homesteading - they are very large pets that produce compost material. :)

We are not self-sufficient. I do not earn a living off the homestead (hence
the job). But I enjoy homesteading activities and raising some of our food.
So we are more homesteading-lite.

I also like canning, making yogurt and soft cheeses (that sort of fun is on
hold while we are goat-less), fiber arts (spinning, knitting, crochet,
weaving), and tackling various DIY projects around the house and property
(running a water line to the barn, building a milking stand, etc.). At one
point I raised sheep, and I may again. I also kept bees, but have not for
some years - my significant other is extremely allergic to bee stings.

Right now I am up to my elbows in house fix-its. We are trying to get the
house ready to sell so that we can move closer to my job. Once we move, I
will have more free time and can once again consider dairy (and possibly
sheep).

I give the blueberries a sulfur based soil acidifier once per year. I also
give them some compost in addition. The sulfur is not OMRI listed, but I
can't afford to do everything 100% organic. What I strive for is to use
things that are either organic or at least not BAD. I avoid insecticides. I
avoid herbicides (other than vinegar - I did some early research with
vinegar as an herbicide and wrote up my findings on an organic list).

Where I live now is sand - like sand-dune sand. I used to live on clay. Not
sure what is next for me to garden. :)

Gloria