homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberries

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberries
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 06:16:57 -0500

On Jun 19, 2012, at 5:54 AM, Marie McHarry wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2012, at 5:06 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:
>

>> Marie, have you ever checked your soil pH?
>>

> I haven't but I'd think that the manure would push it toward slight
> acidity. Of course, I could be thinking wrong.

It appears the opposite is true:

"The main reason for manure to raise soil pH
is due to the lime like materials such as calcium and
magnesium in the manure. For example, poultry
litter contains about 100 lbs. calcium per ton on a
dry weight basis. Therefore, applying manure to acid
soils not only supply much needed nutrients and
organic matter for plant growth but also reduce soil
acidity, thus improve phosphorus availability and
reduce aluminum toxicity. In Oklahoma, many fields
are acidic and animal manure would be an good
amendment
Source(s):
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/acidit…";
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090422085757AAVMrYX

and,

"Most people recognize the value of animal waste as a plant nutrient source
or soil amendment, but the potential of manure, especially poultry litter, to
neutralize soil acidity and raise soil pH is less known. On the contrary,
some people even think manure lowers soil pH as some commercial nitrogen
fertilizers do. Long term field and greenhouse studies have demonstrated the
liming effect of animal manure in acid and neutral soils.
One study conducted in Eastern Oklahoma a few years ago found the soil pH of
the surface 2 feet soil received swine and poultry manure for 5 years was
significantly higher than the pH of the soils received no manure during the
same period."
http://www.animalwaste.okstate.edu/home/pt98-7manureraisessoilph.pdf

However, we organic gardeners know that high levels of organic materials are
known to widen the pH tolerance range of plants. Your soil, long manured, is
likely high in such material. Also, the high level of nutrients may well make
your blueberries more tolerant of imperfect soil pH.

Gene