homestead - Re: [Homestead] What is your family's signature Thanksgiving recipe?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What is your family's signature Thanksgiving recipe?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:57:05 -0800

We roast one turkey and smoke a second turkey. I make Gramma's stuffing/dressing (I do both since a bird doesn't hold enough) which is seasoned bread cubes, broth (neck, wing tips, giblets), real butter, sauted onions, celery and apples plus the liver and heart chopped up.

For the rest of the dinner, we have both cranberry jelly/sauce and whole berry sauce. Fruit salad (fruit cocktail, chopped Granny Smith apples, sliced bananas, orange wedges, chopped walnuts, whipped cream), variety of veggies (peas, corn, bacon/onion/Brussel sprouts), mashed potatoes, gravy. Sometimes candied yams. Homemade rolls and bread.

And, the next day it is hot sandwiches with sourdough bread (remember, I'm a San Francisco kinda kid <g>), stuffing and gravy. DH also likes his turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwiches, which, btw, he's been having since the 50s, long before they became an in thing at some restaurants.

I am going to make cheesecakes this year instead of pies. I'm pied out and for some reason my "famous blue ribbon" (my b-i-l's name for it) pie crust doesn't seem to do as well up here as it did down at sea level. I'm going for one a week in December. My lemon because everyone wants it. A pumpkin since that would seem to be appropriate. An apple pie because it is an idea that's been running around in my brain. And this recipe (scroll down) I found that sounds like a great Christmas cheesecake.

What is everyone else baking for the holidays?

Lynda

Cranberry Orange Cheesecake

1 cup finely chopped pecans
2/3 cup chocolate wafer crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
2 cartons (8 oz each) Mascarpone cheese
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons orange juice*
1 teaspoon orange extract
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup chocolate ice cream topping, warmed

1. Place a greased 9" springform pan on a double thickness of heavy duty
foil, securely wrap around pan.
2. Combine the pecans, wfer crumbs, butter and brown sugar. Press onto the bottom and up 1" of the sides of the prepared pan. Place on a baking sheet.
Bake at 325F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire
rack.
3. In a large bowl, beat the cheeses, sugar, cornstarch, orange juice and
extract until smooth. Add eggs, beat on low speed just until cimbined.
Pour half of the batter over crust.
4. Place the cranberry sauce, branberries and water in a food processor;
cover and process until blended. Sppon over batter (you can cut through
with a knife if you want a swirl). Carefully spread remaining batter over
top.
5. Place springform pan in a large baking pan, add 1 inch of hot water to
large pan. Bake at 325F for 60-70 minutes or until center is just set and
top appears dull.
6, Remove pan from water bath (CAREFULLY!). Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a thin bladed knife around edge of pan to loosen;
cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, drizzle
with chocolate topping.

*We like a real orangy taste, so I'm going to defrost some frozen orange juice
concentrate and use 2 teaspoons of that (NOT diluted with water) instead of
the juice.

----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

I guess I'd have to say that ours is sausage dressing, made with herb seasoned croutons, hot pork sausage, mushrooms, butter, broth, and maybe water chestnuts...
Recipes???