homestead - Re: [Homestead] What is your family's signature Thanksgiving recipe?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jeanne Driese <jeanne13 AT hughes.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What is your family's signature Thanksgiving recipe?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:50:15 -0500

It's not much of a recipe...just a pound of hot sausage, a minced onion browned with the sausage, mushrooms and water chestnuts the same..then add a stick of butter(the real stuff, not margarine---It's Thanksgiving, live it up!), 2 tsp poultry seasoning, pieces of turkey from the neck or giblets, sage is optional, 2 packages of the Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned croutons(I like the cubes better than the crumbles) or croutons of your choice. In a large bowl, mix croutons and meat mixture, add broth, water and pan drippings and maybe a little more butter (this is judgment call on how much depending on how dry or moist or fattening you want your dressing). Pour/Scrape into a buttered 9x13 pan and bake at 350F..

I experiment with the turkey, but not with the dressing..
Our other favorite is ham and cheese rolls..we fight over who gets the last one..

Take cooked boiled ham, the rectangular kind you buy for sandwiches and pat dry the slices.
Soften a package of cream cheese at room temperature and add onion salt-about 1 tsp per 8oz cheese. If you prefer, you can use a red onion, but mince it very, very small...
Blend this into the cream cheese and then spread this mixture onto the ham slices. Roll up the ham and cut into pinwheels. Refrigerate them if you can stop eating them long enough.. This onion cream cheese mixture is also good on celery as a appetizer/football snack.
And our other appetizer snack is stuffed dates..Simply stuff a date with cream cheese and add a pecan half on top. When people start eating these too quickly, I just tell them that I think they look like giant cockroaches, then they leave them alone so I can still get a few!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!