homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hedge rows

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hedge rows
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 23:32:14 -0700

We planted Lombardy poplars for fast shade. In about 5 years they were around 30' tall. The Lombardy poplars grow like weeds! Don't seem to care about the soil, weather or anything else.

A local school planted a type of cypress, I think (I'll look it up) and in 5 years they made a 20' tall just about solid hedge.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

I guess you'd call it hedge rows. Here's what I'm thinking, maybe you
can help me think this through:

I've got a big hayfield in the front of my property. Maybe it's 5-6
acres or so. I've run a temporary fence over an care of it for the
cows. It's a straight line between me and the neighbor, maybe 500 -
600 feet. No trees in the field, except on one side. My problem with
dividing this up into pasture is the lack of trees except on one side.
I can't fence cows out in the sun. If I use the trees on the one side,
it would make some really long, narrow pastures.

So today I was thinking about when I put up field fence between my
field and the neighbor, to put the fence in a little and plant a line
of trees up that side. It's the south side, so the shade would be in
the right place for animals.

The other idea would be to just fence off some oasis(es), and plant
trees there so that each division would have some treed area for
shade.

I've got some black locust trees to transplant here, what other trees
would be fast growing and livestock safe? I can, of course, throw in
some acorns, but me and the cows might be dead before we sit in that
shade.

Rob - Va