homestead - Re: [Homestead] My New Place

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My New Place
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:36:08 -0400

Who knows how much. She's almost 3, first freshening and giving 3 +
gallons a milking on not too much grain and pasture. She's part
Holstein and part Jersey. The Holstein is probably a minus as people
want Jersey's and she look Holstein other than the shape of her face.
Gives good milk with lots of cream that makes nice yellow butter.
She's an easy milker.

The other one is more Jersey and looks it. She's got one dry quarter
and smaller harder to hand milk teats. Giving 2 + gallons a milking.
She's gonna be harder to sell because of the dry quarter and small
teats. I like her and have a milking machine, so will probably keep
her.

There is a small Jersey - Guernsey cross heifer for sale locally that
I have my eye on. I must be crazy, but that's a nice cross.

Rob - Va