homestead - Re: [Homestead] butternut ideas

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] butternut ideas
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:52:10 -0400

What brand/type of half gallon jars? I have the 'golden harvest' squarish type from the days of milking goats, but will these work? Mine have plastic lids-not sure that they would hold up to 220 degrees, or will they? Are other lids available somewhere?

Lynda wrote:
I just slice with the madolin. I don't rehydrate, that happens in the cooking process. You might think about the canning though. Sure is nice to have a jar to drain, whiz in the blender, add a little cream and have a yummy butternut squash soup.

For dehydrated stuff and rice, flour, etc., I then "dry" can it in half gallon jars. 200/220 degrees, 20 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door and by the time the jars are cooled the lids will have sealed.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT gmail.com>

--
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson