homestead - Re: [Homestead] butternut ideas

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] butternut ideas
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 06:52:54 -0400

Hi Bev.
How are you liking Hughsnet???? Could you explain the restriction on hours
or tell me where I could go to find out?

Below is a link to a yahoo group that is owned by a man (reminds me of James
and his level of knowledge about gardening) who preserves EVERYTHING, mostly
by dehydration. It is a very busy group but belonging you could go no mail
and go and search the files. Here is the link:

Dehydrating food is the healthiest way to save food, especially if it is
dehydrated at a low temperature, as that way the enzymes in the food are not
destroyed.
The things that I have dehydrated have all turned out perfectly. Half gallon
canning jars work best if you are doing a lot and they will keep for several
years if you vacuum seal the jars. To me it is the only way to preserve food
as there is no long drawn out processing in a hot kitchen!
Dehydrating the squash either way you mentioned will work great, no need to
add anything unless you want to add some sort of seasoning, really depends on
how you want to use them.
What got me started was the fact that I want greens in my morning drink and
they do not grow year round, so when the farmers market has them I just keep
buying them until they are gone . They can be dehydrated mixed or each kind
kept separate. It seems that there is no limit to what can be dehydrated,
including yogurt or even gravy. That's enough chatter but do go and
investigate the group site.
Jeanne