homestead - Re: [Homestead] Detering Cats and Squirrels

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Detering Cats and Squirrels
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:03:14 -0700

We used to have a couple of fox and a coyote. The neighbor shot them. Then we had hoards of ground squirrels. The little B*****DS ate my garden down to the ground. So, we got some cats. Cats keep the squirrels away and the cats stay out of the garden because it has chicken wire around it and if they do get in, I have everything mulched with straw and they aren't too fond of the straw.

If the cats are wandering neighborhood cats, then they don't look at your space as their space, and they won't bother with the squirrels. If these are your cats, ah, I think you need a different bunch fo cats <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Selena Simonetti" <selenacanada AT yahoo.com>

I've had it. Absolutely had it. I had squirrels dig up 4 of my corn seedlings, most of my carrots and very nearly a heirloom tomato plant! Cats have been leaving multiple piles of crap all over my garden! I need to deter and/or get rid of these little ba****rds ASAP. I have a small pug dog and I don't want to use poison or anything that will harm the animals, but I just want to get and keep them OUT of my garden. I'm so frustrated right now. All this hard work being literally crapped on and dug up. What can I do?