homestead - Re: [Homestead] Thunderbird problem - A Bit of a Rant - Sorry, Can't Help It :)

  • From: Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Thunderbird problem - A Bit of a Rant - Sorry, Can't Help It :)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:28:32 -0600

Thanks for bringing up PGP, Tim. I've looked into it before, but it seems that in order for it to work, everyone would need to use it. In other words, I could not send an email encrypted by PGP to a client unless the client also had PGP- otherwise, the client could not read my email? And, if a client or business sends me an email without using PGP, there is also no security either.

The one thing I like about GMail is that it uses a secure connection for POP and SMTP. And, I have a secure system on this end, with an encrypted network. I realize that while the email is in transit beyond GMail it is open to attack unless encrypted, but I've never figured out how I would get everyone with whom I do business to switch to PGP.

Or, am I missing something in my reading about PGP? Is it more user friendly than it sounds?

Gloria