homestead - Re: [Homestead] Thunderbird problem - A Bit of a Rant - Sorry, Can't Help It :)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Thunderbird problem - A Bit of a Rant - Sorry, Can't Help It :)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:55:32 -0500

Here, here...

Gloria Morris wrote:
On 2/21/2010 12:53 AM, EarthNSky wrote:
The Gmail portion is operating wonderfully
under Thunderbird, but I need to log back on to the website and see if
it is storing mail like the problem Glo has. I don't like webmail
because of security....not that I have that much to hide, but it is the
principle of the matter. Can anyone help with this password thing?

It is odd how those of us who do not care for the concept that others can potentially read our email have to defend ourselves in online discussions. It should never be necessary to apologetically say "I have nothing to hide" when mentioning a concern about privacy issues. But it is. Because in almost every on-line conversation about privacy, if anyone mentions a concern, in most forums there is a very high likelihood that someone will say "I'm not worried about what Google <or insert other entity, including the government> has on me because I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE." The inference is that anyone who gives a rat's ass about privacy must be a criminal or have something to hide. Our society has gone from valuing individual freedom (and privacy) to practically demanding full body searches of innocent people in order to fly on an airline in the name of safety, and to fully accepting that our entire identities should be openly entrusted to a corporate entity or to the government.

I still like the motto "Live Free or Die!" Over the course of my lifetime, I have watched the steady erosion of both privacy and individual freedom. People have been slowly conditioned not to care about personal freedom or privacy any longer. Sad but true.

I don't feel we should apologize for not wanting someone reading our mail, whether snail or e. Who would feel comfortable seeing someone reading their mail out of their mailbox along the road? Even if they have nothing to hide? If it is no big deal, then why would that action be a federal crime? How is it any different with email? Nowadays, more business is conducted via email than snail mail. Many things which are of a private nature are dealt with online. And yet with email, a hacker or errant Google employee could access yours without your ever seeing them rummaging through your virtual mail box. Concern for privacy, in my mind anyway, is not a sign of a criminal mind, scheming to hide dark secrets, but a matter of prudence.

Gloria