homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden questions

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden questions
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:26:00 EST

> >My question: Should I, in a burst of energy & zeal, shovel the garden
> removing all but a couple inches of snow (if I can, some of it is ice)?

I don't see as how that would help any. A foot of snow is less than an
inch of water. I rather doubt the ground will thaw or drain much faster sans
the snow.

>> Wondering about the extreme moist ground I'll have--mud season--and how
> that
> will affect planting the typical early veggies?

It won't help and it's one of my concerns. My corn and potato field is a
swamp, I''ve got a lot of ditching to do to drain the water off. But plowing
it is going to be quite late this year.

In the garden it's the best drained raised parts that will be of the most
use this spring. Cold ground by itself isn't much of a problem (so long as
it warms up on some days to bring about germination) and it isn't a problem
at all with most transplants. But soggy cold ground is a problem. Seeds and
roots rot in it.

I've got some old beds of finished soil 20" above the surrounding paths
(and there are no side walls, it's all just soil). These will eventually
drain enough to plant, although right now they are like spooky sponges
holding
tons of water. But in some areas, although the soil is loose 18" into the
ground, it's a puddle of mud this season. Nothing to do but hold those beds
for breans and cucumbers and tomatoes later on.

James</HTML>