homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden questions

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden questions
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:36:27 -0800

Normally we have snow and with the snow we have lots of clear days. The temps kind of hover around 30 to 40, with it sometimes going down to 20 at night. This year is unheard of, weatherwise. We have rain and with the rain we have COLD! Frequently down below 10 and we hit zero about once a week. And it is gray and overcast daily. About a month ago I gave up on anything in the garden at all. Too wet, too humid (damp) and way too cold. Even the raised beds are swamped! The ground itself isn't frozen but the raised beds keep freezing and thawing. Checked in one corner of the garlic bed and the garlic is rotted! I put everything away and gave up on planting anything. Oh, and the winds took out the one section I have PVC hooped.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>

Same here. We're in similar territory. At present we have up to 2' of snow
on the ground in most spots (less if it has blown and drifted away). We
expect up to 4" tomorrow. Yay! (Sarcasm implied).

My question: Should I, in a burst of energy & zeal, shovel the garden
removing all but a couple inches of snow (if I can, some of it is ice)?
Wondering about the extreme moist ground I'll have--mud season--and how that
will affect planting the typical early veggies?

Thanks,

Lisa
sw VA