homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden questions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden questions
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:05:19 -0500

Gloria Morris wrote:
Bev,

Though I'm a lapsed Master Gardener, I've never grown asparagus from seed, so this is just from reading. Take it with a grain of salt!!!

No worries. As you can tell, I have never grown them from seed either. I am just amazed at how easy it has been so far(Thanks Keith B!) and I hope I can keep them alive. Now that Ron has decided he likes asparagus, and my daughter now likes it too, my little established patch just isn't enough anymore. It is 10 years old now anyway, so it is time to get more going. If I can save 90% of what has germinated, I'll be in good shape for the rest of my life.

Supposedly, asparagus can be transplanted to its permanent bed when it is at least 6 inches tall. Here's what I found on an Extension site, which may be of some help:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-2-a.html

Thanks for that link. I had not seen it. Most sites just don't have good detail like that.

If you have them growing extremely close together in a flat now, you may want to thin them, or else attempt a transplant of the thinned ones now (accepting some losses in an effort to save them rather than intentionally kill them with thinning).

Yeah, I definitely need to do that before the roots get too branched.
Thanks!

--
Many of our greatest American thinkers, men of the caliber of Thomas Jefferson, Henry Thoreau, Mark Twain, William James, and John Muir, have found the forest an effective stimulus to original thought.
Bob Marshall