homestead - [Homestead] Garden questions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garden questions
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:45:09 -0500

I planted asparagus from seed and now have a little forest of 1-2" tall asparagi<g>. ;) I'm totally psyched about that because as you know, asparagus crowns are expensive! However, I do have a problem...
I've had them in the house(temp ranges from 50-90 as they are in the same room as the woodstove) since they were planted on 1/20, but now I need the indoor light shelf space for something else. Can these babies survive the greenhouse? It is unheated, but has southern exposure and generally stays above freezing. They will get plenty of light, but I am worried about the cold. My only other choice is in front of the window in a bedroom that remains closed off. In the bedroom, the temp is about 50 degrees, but the plants will get less light, even by the window.

Question #2..
Exactly how much cold can cabbage transplants take? It is still getting into the low twenties and teens here, but....
Last frost date is usually March 30-April 5 time frame. I usually plant my cabbages into the raised beds(with remay covers) around the first of March. My cabbages are now about 4 inches tall, leaves are good sized...do you think they will be okay in the greenhouse for a few more weeks? This is a new variety of cabbage(Gonzales Baby Cabbage from Scheepers) that I am trying, and it is growing leaps and bounds faster than any other cabbages I've ever grown.

--
Many of our greatest American thinkers, men of the caliber of Thomas Jefferson, Henry Thoreau, Mark Twain, William James, and John Muir, have found the forest an effective stimulus to original thought.
Bob Marshall